Happy Ramblings: Spring is here!

Sunday, September 1, 2024

Spring is here!

Today is the first day of Spring and it has turned out to be gloriously sunny. It was a big surprise to see such a quick change in the weather after the terrific thunderstorm and lashings of rain we had last night.

I woke to hear the dawn chorus from the many blackbirds, thrushes and tuis that visit our garden. 

I managed to photograph a tui in our neighbour's pink blossom tree which leans over our fence. The blossom looks like bunches of dangling bells and is full of nectar which the tuis drink. Tuis are lovely birds with a little plume of white feathers at their throat. Their song is amazing to hear, it is very long and cheerful with a very wide range of notes. 

I wandered around the garden with my camera and Otto followed as usual. I found many flowers just starting to open including a dainty forget-me-not, which I enlarged in the photo above, and discovered a tiny ant drinking nectar from one of the flowers.

I noticed a few flowers on the yet-to-be-named blackberry/boysenberry bush. We didn't have any luck with the fruit on it last year. The fruit all dried up for some reason, despite the amount of rain we had. This season I need to get advice on how to look after them and identify what sort of berry they are.

The pretty, mauve-flowered bush above fell over and split its trunk during the Winter storms. It managed to layer one branch, which survived, and this is flowering now. We had to remove all the rest of the dead branches. It used to be quite a large bush.  

The white arum lilies are flowering now and stand out brightly in the shade under the trees.


The Meyer lemons are ripening nicely. I picked one yesterday to use in a chicken and leek in white wine sauce recipe. The lemon was juicy and full of flavour and added just the right amount of zinginess to the dish.
The hellebores are still flowering since the beginning of Winter, and there are more buds forming. I don't deadhead the hellebores, they are left to self-seed under the trees.
This Spring we are lucky with the little blood orange tree. It has produced quite a lot of fruit for its size. Now it is just a matter of judging when they have ripened fully and picking them before the birds and slugs get to them.
A few of the anemone bulbs which were planted last Autumn are flowering. I was lucky to find this one which hadn't been munched on by snails.  
This fucshia managed to survive the Winter outdoors and today I discovered flower buds on it. When we bought it last Autumn it was in full flower. I took a cutting of it just in case it didn't survive, and the cutting has been successfully growing in the garage on a shelf by the window. I need to find somewhere to plant it out now.
The bad storms this past Winter blew the tree in our lawn over sideways even more, and it is now on a great lean towards our neighbour's property. We might need to contact an arborist for advice about it. If it needs to be removed we will need to get permission from the council who will come and inspect it. 

Our Alder tree was also blown sideways and lost many branches due to the hurricane. It is such a shame as it is a large old tree. It will be awful if we lose it.
On a brighter note, the Chinese primulas have grown well. They like the partial shade that they were planted in. And the flowers are in varying shades of pink and white. These should self-seed under the trees and bushes and make an even better display next year :o)

In the next week dad and I are planning to go to the garden centre to buy compost and vegetable seedlings. We will also be looking for flowering perennials and shrubs and maybe a couple of dessert grape vines. I'm not sure what time of year they sell different plants, but I enjoy looking anyway.

I hope this post finds you well and I am looking forward to hearing from you.

Hugs, 

Rose xxx

12 comments:

  1. How lovely to be welcoming a new, fruitful season. All your plants look grand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Janice, thank you very much. Now is the time for citrus fruit in our garden. We are enjoying the oranges, limes and lemons :o) There have been so many limes again that we have been giving the surplus to my sister to make lime marmalade. I hope that you are enjoying your Autumn. Hugs, Rose x

      Delete
  2. Sounds like we had identical weather! Loved the tour around your garden. I really like arum lilies, although I know a lot of people don't. Perhaps because I grew up with seeing them in my mother's garden?
    The mauve flowers look like rosemary. My little plant is struggling this year and I am thinking I may have to find a new one to plant.
    I hope you can get your trees sorted out. A visit from an arborist sounds like it may be a good idea.
    Have a great day :) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Margaret, our weather does sound identical to yours! We are still trying to get used to its changeability compared to that at our last house. We are near a river and hills, and not too far from the sea, so the mist/fog frequently settles in on our village. Sometimes the fog doesn't lift until midday. Plus, we seem to get rain in the afternoons on a lot of days. The day can start off bright and sunny with no clouds in sight, then by mid-afternoon the clouds will come over and then the rain showers down. I shouldn't complain really as it does save me from having to water the garden and we are on tank water. But it isn't that brilliant for our solar power!
      Have you tried to take cuttings of your rosemary plant? or is it too small yet?
      I hope you enjoy the rest of the week. Hugs, Rose x

      Delete
  3. Oh wow, everything is just so pretty! You've loved that new garden and it shows - I know it's also so much hard work. I had to look up tuis birds...we don't have them here - love the blue, green, and bronze colors, I even got online to hear his song! I'm sorry about the tree...that must have been some really strong winds. I hope they can be saved...maybe slowly, gently pulled back upright over time? Let us know. Spring there and heading to fall here - so glad, summer has been awfully hot, it was 99F one day last week. That's just miserable, to me anyway, I know some absolutely love heat, but I'm not one of them! Have fun at the garden center!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mary, Thank you. Dad has been doing most of the work in the garden at the moment, despite him being 94. I would like to do more, but my chronic fatigue syndrome holds me back a lot. I do love gardening and choosing plants and being able to watch nature. We did have fun at the garden centre. We bought mainly vegetable seedlings (tomatoes, capsicums, Italian parsley, silverbeet) plus I chose a punnet of aquilegia flower seedlings and Dad chose 2 busy lizzies (one red, one white) for indoors. We also bought 80 L of potting mix.
      Tui birds are pretty aren't they? I forgot to mention how clever they are at mimicking sounds. They have been known to sing mobile phone ring tones, beeps identical to reversing trucks, copying songs from the radio and they can copy people talking exactly if they choose to do so. There are some videos on Youtube showing Woofwoof the tui talking, he is quite funny.
      99 F ugh! that is way too hot for me. I hope that you have air conditioning? I am glad it doesn't get that hot where I am. 72 F is my ideal temperature with no humidity. I start to feel unwell with no energy at around 77 F.
      Have a fun week. Hugs, Rose x

      Delete
  4. It's so lovely to see your spring flowers, and the lemon tree looks amazing. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that next year I might finally see some fruit on mine. Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jules, Thank you for your comment. I love spring flowers too :o) I will keep my fingers crossed for you that you will get some lemons on your tree next year. Have you tried growing any other citrus trees? Hope you have a great week. Hugs, Rose xxx

      Delete
  5. Bonjour Rose,

    What a welcoming garden and all those pretty spring flowers are a feat for the eyes. You celebrate spring and we will celebrate autumn very soon. I do not know the kind of bird you talk about but i will check on my books or on the web.
    I wish you a good continuation and a happy spring.
    Hélène

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Helene, Thank you. It is funny how you are just beginning Autumn on your side of the world and Spring has just started here. Tui birds are native to New Zealand and are not found anywhere else. There are a lot of videos on YouTube showing them if you would like to see more of them. Happy Autumn. Hugs Rose x

      Delete
  6. I loved seeing all your early Spring blooms, Rose. Everything is looking very healthy and ready to give delight for many weeks. I'm glad the sun came out to shine for you. It's been shining here today but we're heading into Autumn now so less sunny days probably and lots of rain.
    Wishing you a happy Spring/September x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Beverley, Thank you. More anemones have opened up and the freesias down the driveway smell delightful. We haven't had any success with our ranunculas which is a shame. They formed flower buds, then their stalks collapsed for some reason. Everything else is doing well :o) I hope that you get some more sunny days before Autumn really sets in. Wishing you a happy Autumn in September! Have a lovely week. Hugs, Rose x

      Delete