Happy Ramblings: Busy time for cats - making new cushions

Friday, November 24, 2023

Busy time for cats - making new cushions

 

The last couple of weeks have been very busy for Otto. He has been supervising me while I made some new cushions. The supervision was necessary because it has been well over 20 years since I made cushions with zips in. I used a YouTube tutorial to refresh my memory. Here is a link to the tutorial that I found easy to follow.

Supervision is exhausting work for a cat. Otto had to lie down a lot to rest on the material as I moved it. Then he had to thoroughly inspect my cushion template and test it for size.

Examining the placement of every pin proved to be a lot of fun for Otto, as did trying to catch the scissors as I cut the material.

When the first cushion was finished, Otto insisted on testing it for comfort and promptly fell asleep! I took it that he approved and that the cushion passed quality control :o)
 
I chose the bird (blue-faced honeyeater) patterned material initially to make cushions for our new outdoor furniture. The material is 100% cotton canvas and was designed by Jocelyn Proust, an Australian designer. 

When I placed a finished cushion on the settee in our living room, I liked how it looked there with the cream throw rug and the dark brown leather of the settee. The background of the material is a pastel sage-green and the stalks of the plants are a light pastel dusky-rose. I decided to keep these cushions for the living room instead of using them outdoors. 

I made 3 of the bird cushions then decided that I needed contrasting cushions with a bit more colour to lift the room. So, I went back to the shop and looked at all the furnishing fabric options. I settled on the dusky-rose pink velvet material, which I hoped toned in well with the bird material. 

The shop assistant wasn't too sure of my choice of colour. However, I liked the colour combination and I asked several other customers what they thought. They said it was a perfect match, they loved the combination too.

I bought enough of the velvet to make three cushions. I have made one already and will make the other two over the weekend.

I am daydreaming about adding some smaller cream-coloured cushions, maybe hand knitted moss-stitch, or crewel work in cream-on-cream. Maybe one day :o) 

What do you think would go with my cushions? Any ideas?

Hugs, Rose x

8 comments:

  1. The cushions are lovely. Otto, equally lovely, clearly appreciates them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, thank you, I enjoyed making them. Otto is a treasure; he follows me around and likes to join in everything that I do :o) I hope that you have a lovely weekend. Hugs, Rose x

      Delete
  2. Hello Rose,
    I like very much the fabric with birds of your new cushions and the pink one is going well with them. You could add plain cushions in colours similar to those of birds but with deeper hues.
    Cats are funny. They like to participate !
    I wish you a nice weekend
    Hélène

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Helene, thank you very much for your advice on selecting colours and styles of cushions to go with the ones that I have made. I really appreciate it. I am making a mood board of ideas to take with me for when I go shopping, after I have finished making up the rest of my indoor and outdoor cushions. I have 9 cushions left to make :o)
      My cat Otto definitely likes to participate in everything that I do. When he gets tired of "typing" on my keyboard he sleeps on a chair next to me until I have finished at the computer.
      I hope that you have an enjoyable week. Hugs, Rose x

      Delete
  3. The bird fabric is really pretty and your cushions look lovely. Thank goodness Otto was on hand to 'help' :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jules, thank you :) I don't know how I would have managed making the cushions without Otto! Hugs, Rose x

      Delete
  4. Lovely bird design cushions and you were right about the contrasting pink ones as well. All that hard work, no wonder Otto needed a quick snooze :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Beverley, thank you. Otto snoozes all the time in-between sessions helping me in the house or outside. But he never complains that I overwork him lol. Hugs, Rose x

      Delete