Happy Ramblings: The last week of Autumn in my garden

Friday, May 24, 2024

The last week of Autumn in my garden

 

Cassia 'John Ball'

It is the end of Autumn here in New Zealand. The weather has been glorious for the past few days, so I have been out in the garden with my camera. 

I took some photos to show you what is flowering and fruiting now, and also the beginnings of a new flower bed prepared by my dad.  

The tree in the photo above is Cassia corymbosa "John Ball" which is commonly known as the buttercup tree. Its flowers are a lovely buttercup yellow. The tree is unusual in that it folds its leaves up at night and when the weather is very dry. 

Our buttercup tree has been flowering all Autumn and should carry on flowering throughout Winter. Last year there weren't many flowers on the tree, so dad gave it a good pruning and feeding which resulted in the production of more lovely flowers.


The white camellia bushes in front of the house are in full bloom. 

Each flower lasts a few days then drops its petals like confetti all over the place. It looks like it has been snowing!




Some of the roses are still flowering, but I expect not for much longer as the weather is getting cooler.


The lavender has put on a lot of new growth since it was pruned back. There are lots of perfumed flowers for the bees to enjoy.


Some magnolia flowers are opening. This is an unusual tree to me because it flowers all year round, just a few flowers at a time.

I need to discover how to revive the red hibiscus. It hasn't got many leaves and has only got one flower so far. I suppose it is better than last year when it was only twigs!

The new flower bed in progress. 

This corner of the garden looks like it was a dumping ground for concrete rubble, large stones and sand. Dad took out all the rubble and stones and removed the quince tree which the arborist told us had died. Then we bought bags of compost to dig in.


The yellow abutillon bush is in place with supporting stakes. Its branches are very thin and brittle. Here's hoping that it can stand up to the windy Winter weather ahead.


I love the lantern-shaped flowers so much that we decided to buy more abutillon plants. One red and one orange.




The grevillia ground cover has been flowering for a few weeks now. It is a strange plant with very small flowers. It keeps getting covered over with falling Autumn leaves.



Foxglove and aqueligia plants have seeded themselves in the garden. I can't wait to see what colours the flowers will be.


We managed to harvest some delicious feijoas from our tree this year. 

After watering the tree well, pruning it and giving it a feed, we managed to get a couple of bowls full of fruit. 


The yellow cherry guava tree still has lots of fruit on it. The fruit has stopped ripening now that the weather is cooler. The blackbirds are happily eating what is left, which I don't mind. I harvested plenty this year.


And lastly here is a photo of our silverbeet (chard) that is growing in the veggie patch. We also have perpetual spinach and flat leaf parsley growing in the patch, but they aren't very photogenic at the moment 😁

I hope this post finds you well and enjoying the season in your part of the world. I'm looking forward to visiting your blogs to catch up on what has been happening.

Hugs, Rose x

8 comments:

  1. Lots of lovely flowers and plants in your garden. The buttercup tree is gorgeous, so bright.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Janice, thank you. The buttercup tree is my mum's favourite. We are so glad to have had one already established in the garden when we bought the house. Hugs, Rose

      Delete
  2. Your garden sounds like a wonderful place to wander around, looking at what is happening. I especially loved your references to the buttercup tree, abutilon and acquilegia as they all remind me of happy gardens I once looked after. Enjoy your weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Margaret, thank you. I am really enjoying our garden. I go out in it most days with my dad when the weather is fine. We like to discuss what is growing and any changes we can make to add more colour. My cat Otto follows us around and runs up and down the trees. I am happy that my post evoked memories of happy gardens for you :) Have a lovely week. Hugs, Rose

      Delete
  3. Everything looks absolutely wonderful-I love seeing what’s blooming from so far away! You’re entering a lovely cool time - and you’ve done such a great job on the gardens! Is it cool enough there to enjoy time to relax from gardening through fall and winter, or do you have blooms year-round?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mary, thank you very much. Today it was 13 degrees Celcius and sunny. I had to wear a light coat when I went out as the wind was starting to bite. Yet a few days ago it was warm enough for me to wear a T-shirt outside. The weather is very unpredictable here as Winter approaches. Some Winter days will be pleasant enough with lots of sunshine, but as we move towards August we usually get heavy rain and wind. I am aiming to have flowers all year-round in our garden. Things that flower in Winter here are bedding plants such as pansies, primulas and marigolds. The abutilons will hopefully flower throughout Winter, as well as the buttercup tree and camelias. Our hellebores have sprouted up with lovely bright green leaves already, so we may get flowers on them earlier than normal. We already have earlicheer narcissi flowering and the ranunculus corms that we planted a couple of weeks ago have already pushed up leaves through the soil. There won't be much to do in the garden during Winter apart from clearing up fallen branches from the lawn and leaves from the drains, other than that we will be able to relax :) Hugs, Rose

      Delete
  4. You have lots of beautiful plants in your garden. I really like the buttercup tree and the Abutilon. The colours are wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Beverley, thank you for leaving your lovely comment. It makes me so happy that you like the plants in my garden :o) We have just survived a storm over the last couple of days. The wind reached 130 kilometres per hour, together with large hailstones and thunder and lightning. The buttercup tree lost half its flowers as a result and is looking rather sorry for itself at the moment. Hopefully it will bounce back with more flowers for the Winter. Luckily the abutilons are unharmed. Hugs, Rose

      Delete