Happy Ramblings: Silver and red, vintage and antique, Christmas tree decorations

Friday, December 17, 2021

Silver and red, vintage and antique, Christmas tree decorations


table top Christmas tree

At last, here is my little tabletop Christmas tree, decorated with silver and red, vintage and antique, Christmas tree decorations. 

The shiny baubles are made of mercury glass and the little figures are made of chenille and spun cotton. I found them on eBay many years ago when I became addicted to buying Christmas decorations online. I get so much joy from them. They remind me of my childhood Christmases when we had a real tree with real candles on.












I have had a very busy 2 weeks looking after my mum, taking her to her doctor, audiologist and optometrist. Her blood pressure was extremely high, but now has lowered below the danger level, with new medicine doses, which is a big relief.  

Also, mum's hearing has deteriorated by 50% in a year and she was struggling with her old hearing aids, one of which she lost. So she now has new ones in time for Christmas. It is a bit of an ordeal for her getting the hearing aids to work as needed though, so yesterday I went to the audiology clinic to learn how to program them using an app on my cellphone. Then yesterday afternoon I managed to adjust the settings so that she can now hear me and dad with no difficulty 😊 I will need to do another program setting for the hearing aids at Christmas, when the family is all gathered together, as hearing will be a challenge for mum in a group setting.

It is hard to believe that it is only 1 week to go until Christmas! The time has flown by quickly since my last post. Everything is ready now apart from a delivery of groceries next week for Christmas. I have my fingers crossed that they will be able to deliver everything I need, otherwise it will be a last minute visit to the supermarket, which I imagine will be a crazy time.

In the meantime, I have been watching the Chateau Diaries Christmas Advent vlogs every day on YouTube. It is a lovely channel to watch and is making it feel like Christmas 🎄

Have a wonderful weekend. 

Hugs, Rose x

10 comments:

  1. Hi Rose. Your tree and ornaments are so pretty! I love red and silver together. Very festive indeed. I'm so sorry to hear your mom hasn't been feeling her best. I am glad to hear her blood pressure is somewhat in normal limits now - that's good news. I'm also happy to hear she has new hearing aids and she won't be missing conversations with you and your dad. I hope everything on your holiday market list will be available so you don't have a make a last minute stop into a busy market right before Christmas. Have a great and festive weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Julia, thank you, it is the first time I have put the red ornaments with silver, it makes it look really frosty and wintery. Usually I put them with gold. I had to take mum back to ER yesterday, her blood pressure was very high again, so the doctor increased her medicine yet again. It is great with mum's hearing aids, we don't have to struggle to communicate now, as long as mum puts her hearing aids in :o) Have a lovely week getting ready for Christmas. Hugs, Rose x

      Delete
    2. Rose, I'm so sorry to hear about your mum going back to the ER yesterday. I will say a prayer for tonight.

      Delete
    3. Dear Julia, thank you for your kind thoughts and prayers. Mum is a little better today, more like her usual self. I am taking her back to her own doctor this afternoon, for hopefully the last time over the Christmas holiday. I hope that your holiday plans are going well. Hugs, Rose x

      Delete
  2. Bonjour Rose,

    How pretty your Christmas tree looks with these vintage ornaments. I have a few that I kept from 1980's. They are handmade with simple materials such as cardboard, paper, wool, lace braids etc

    I wish you Joyeux Noël !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Helene, Thank you, it is great that you have kept your decorations from so long ago, they sound really pretty and special. I wish you a wonderful Christmas too. Hugs, Rose x

      Delete
  3. I agree with the others...the vintage tree is oh-so pretty! I love that it's filled with sweet ornaments...mercury glass, that's just lovely. Thanks for showing us close up photos...the nostalgic feel it gives is what Christmas should be all about. So good that you can be there for your mom, I know it's appreciated. And an app that adjusts the hearing aids, that's great! Hope the week is filled with good things for you...have a very, merry Christmas! Mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mary, thank you so much. Have a very merry Christmas too, filled with love, hope and joy! Hugs, Rose x

      Delete
  4. Hi Rajani, welcome to the Happy Ramblings blog and thank you for your comment, it means a lot to me. Have a great holiday. Hugs, Rose x

    ReplyDelete