Happy Ramblings: New unusual mushrooms have appeared in my garden!

Saturday, October 30, 2021

New unusual mushrooms have appeared in my garden!

 

Shaggy inkcap mushrooms

Yesterday dad called me to come quickly into the garden, with my camera, to see what he had discovered under the trees, near the shed. 

I was really surprised to see a clump of large white mushrooms, which are about 20 cm to 25 cm tall, surrounded by younger small ones. They were happily growing in the damp decomposed leaf litter. 

The weather here in Auckland has been very wet and warm this spring, quite often around 19 C to 21 C during the day, which must be ideal for these mushrooms to grow here.

coprinus comatus mushrooms

The mushrooms are huge. I had no idea what kind they were. So after taking some photos I ran back inside to search the internet for a name.

Shaggy ink cap mushrooms

I wasn't quite sure from my photos what the mushrooms were called because they hadn't opened up and I didn't know if these were fully mature or not.

Shaggy ink cap mushrooms also known as Lawyer's wig

Then early this morning, before it started to rain, I went back to the mushroom patch to discover that 2 had opened up at the bottom and had a lip of black curled up around the bottom of the cap.

coprinus comatus in my New Zealand garden

After my search on the internet, I found that these mushrooms may be the commonly called shaggy ink caps, shaggy mane or lawyer's wigs (depending on which country you are in), with the scientific name of coprinus comatus. Though I may be wrong. (No matter what the these mushrooms are I will not be eating them!!!)

I wonder what surprises my garden will give me next month!

Do you have any idea if I am correct in my identification? 

I hope your weekend goes well and that you have some pleasant surprises too.

Hugs, Rose x

8 comments:

  1. Those are really unusual. I've never seen anything like them before. I checked out your shaggy ink cap and it certainly looks like that is what they are. They are meant to be edible as well :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Margaret, thanks, I think you are right. The next day after the mushrooms opened, the caps slowly disintegrated from the bottom up, leaving black strands of goo dangling from the caps. Really messy and gross! Then the rest of the mushrooms collapsed into a big mess. I'm not tempted to eat them lol. Hugs, Rose x

      Delete
  2. We've had a lot of mushrooms here as well...but it's been such a rainy summer, I'm guessing that's the reason. I remember mushroom hunting for morels when I was growing up...my grandmother would cook them and they were so delicious...a once a year treat. Now, they seem illusive...but there are plenty growing that I can't eat! Mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mary, You are so lucky to have had someone to teach you about identifying morels. I have never tried one. I have just Googled morels, they look quite distinctive and the cost of them to buy... $254.00 per pound...wow! Hugs Rose x

      Delete
    2. Wow, that price! What's a good word? Amazing, crazy, ridiculous! For us it was an outing in the country woods as a way to enjoy nature and see if we could find morels in their hiding places. I think the last time I saw them for sale they were $10 a pound. I'm still stunned...I guess I'd better do a little mushroom hunting next summer! Mary

      Delete
    3. I think all three words fit lol. Happy hunting for next summer. Hugs, Rose x

      Delete
  3. It was really funny mushrooms! Interesting too...
    Have a lovely sunday and take care!
    Titti

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Titti, thank you very much. I hope that you are enjoying your week :) Hugs, Rose x

      Delete